01282 700 200

Concept Law Solicitors
35 Carr Road
Lancashire BB9 7JS

Tel: 01282 700200
Fax: 01282 704000

DX: 14652 Nelson
Email: enquiries@conceptlaw.co.uk

Motor Insurance Bureau

If you have unfortunately been involved in an accident, where, the third party driver is either not insured, a foreign driver or has left the scene of an accident without there being an opportunity to obtain any contact details, rest assured not all is lost.

You may be able to make a claim to the Motors Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). The MIB are a non-profit-making company set up by motor insurers, who enter into agreements with the UK Government in order to compensate victims of motor accidents.

The Bureau will investigate the claim, and their instigations are likely to include :
  • establishing the facts
  • confirming the identity of those involved
  • obtaining independent reports from motor engineers or witnesses
  • obtaining a police report
  • contacting other bodies such as the DVLA, your insurer or a foreign bureau
The MIB will make every effort to decide on whether to make a compensation payment within three months. They will need a police report if liability is in dispute, conflicting evidence is presented or any person is seriously injured. It can take some time to obtain a police report, as the police can not release the report until criminal prosecutions are concluded. If you are eligible for compensation, a decision on the appropriate amount will usually take longer than three months.

There are some common factors that have an effect on how long things take, such as injury claims for which they may need to get an independent medical report. If the medical experts do not agree on the effects of the injury, this will take time to resolve. They may have to obtain independent reports to establish the extent of some parts of your claim, such as loss of earnings or care needs.

You will also be entitled to compensation for damage to your property. This includes, damage to your car, excess, hire/storage/recovery costs, and loss of use and inconvenience. Under the agreement there is something which is called the excess which runs to £300.00. What this means is that if you put in a claim for compensation arising out of property damage, the MIB do not pay the first £300.00 of it.
Concept Law Solicitors is a trading name of Concept law Solicitors Ltd. This firm is regulated and authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (England and Wales) under the Solicitor Practice Rules 2007. Regulatory Guidance which can be found at www.sra.org.uk.
Concept Law Solicitors is a member of the Law Society (www.lawsociety.org.uk)

SRA Firm Number: 550955
VAT Number: 921852918